Where problem dogs are no problem

Friday, March 18, 2011

Another attention game

I do not like to only train from a standstill, because I want the dogs to know that they can pay attention to people even while they're moving. I arm myself with goodies, wait for the dog to look at me in my face and then give a few treats while praising, then I take off at a quick pace. As soon as the dog catches up to me and looks at me, I praise, feed a few more treats and move in a different direction again. It's like you are constantly trying to get away and the dog is always trying to catch up. It's like the game many dogs are playing already, but the role is reversed! If you are playing outside, you will need a leash for safety reasons. As this goes on, you will let the dog take more steps with you and should be looking at you longer before you pay out.

Tammy Reinarz, CPDT-KA and a Professional Member of the APDT, has been training dogs of all breeds within the Central PA area since 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment