Where problem dogs are no problem

Friday, May 18, 2012

What kind of boss are you?

Let's think back for a moment on the types of supervisors you have had in your working career.  I have had ones that were very kind and I have had ones that I would rather forget.  Think about which kind of boss motivated you to do your best.  I know that the supervisors who criticized me and my work did not make me want to work for them.  The ones who complimented me on what a good job I did were the ones I for whom I wanted to do my best.  When I completed a particularly difficult task, a bonus was always greatly appreciated.  Now let's look at this in the light of dog training.  Does you dog only get told when he is doing something wrong, i.e. a jerk on the collar if he is not walking next to you, or does he get treated when he is walking next to you.  When you ask your dog for a particularly hard thing for him to do, i.e., to sit or lay down for an extended period of time, do you make it a party for him that he completed the task?  Since I have started positive reinforcement training, I have a dog that I can go in the obedience ring and win ribbons because she wants to work for me.  Take a look at your training methods.  Are they working for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment